Friday, November 15, 2013

If It Makes You Happy...

So it is getting to the time in the semester where things are getting a bit more hectic. Between term papers, inquiry projects, power points, fieldwork, AND all the readings my brain gets a little bogged down. Granted there are only classes four days a week but with all the work and final projects it feels like I am always doing work. It never seems to fail that every night I spend with my new boyfriend Microsoft Word 2010 lol. It is easy to work yourself into a frenzy with trying to make sure that everything is perfect. Well for me it is easy to fall into that routine. I have started to get sick a lot recently and am now realizing that it is important to take some time for myself. Yes school is important but if I am not taking care of myself then I will not have enough energy to do school work properly and to my fullest potential. I have started to do things that make me extremely happy and conformable. Even if it is not something that other people will understand or even agree with, if it makes you happy then go for it! I am an old soul at heart so I adore being at home with a good book or an old movie and some tea. I also take bubble baths to relax. I do love to dance but once it starts to get cold outside going out is not my thing. I also write poetry to help me relax and debrief. It also helps because for a few moments I do not have to worry about grammar, punctuation, and making sure I have sited my sources correctly lol. I love the Hallmark Channel, OWN Network, Food Network, Syfy, and a slew of others. I think it is important to find some personal time to refill your emotional tank so that you can forge ahead with all the work. Here are some things I do:

  1. Read good books. I am currently reading 2 different series. I love all romance, action, and drama novels. GoodReads, Amazon, and Google helped me find a lot of the books I am reading now. I just typed in a book or an author that I liked and searched for books similar to it. Voila I know have a very long but exciting reading list awaiting me.
  2. Good Movies. I have already said this but I love love love old movies. Gone With the Wind, Great Expectations, A Street Car Named Desire, A Clockwork Orange, Orlando and so many others. I also love funny movies and comedy specials The Best Man, Love and Basketball, The Wood, Katt Williams, Aziz Ansari, Anjela Johnson, and so many others. I try to watch at lest one thing during the weekend that will make me laugh.
  3. Good Music. I am an eclectic person who loves all types but I try to save the dance music for more during the week to keep me going. On the weekends I like slow soft music that helps me to relax.
  4. Good Drinks. A good tea or a nice hot cup of cocoa always helps me. I have tried different concoctions to see what is best for me. I love hot chocolate with milk and a little but of coffee for a zing. I also put nutmeg, cinnamon, and marshmallows to make my cup really rich.
  5. Spa Day. This goes for guys too. I think it is very important to take care of your body inside and out. Taking vitamins and drinking lots of water and eating veggies is great. A good massage or a hot bubble bath with epson salt is even better. If you can't afford a spa treatment like I can't then DYI's at home are always good. Give yourself a nice leg massage with warmed oils. I use lavender, jasmine and coconut oil. If you have back problems there are loads of massage chairs and pillows that work great as well.
  6. Working with your hands. Doing something with my hands has always been something that has relaxed me. Cooking, baking, building a shelf or even working on my car are all things I do to help me wind down. 
  7. Do It True.. No matter what you do to relax even if it is one of my suggestions or not just make sure you do it true. As long as you enjoy it then that is ALL that matters. That and nothing that breaks your budget. We are in grad school people got to ball on a budget as I say :)

No comments:

Post a Comment